Monday 19 April 2010

Life as a pillion passenger

"It must be so boring sitting on the back of a bike?" " Is it not really uncomfortable?" "Isn't it tiring being on the back all the time?" These are all questions I've been asked during this trip, and the answer I always give is a resounding NO!!

Motorcycle travel is actually THE best form of travel for a myriad of reasons. The bike affords us amazing freedom; freedom to travel off the beaten track, follow paths that branch off the main routes, get really close to waterfalls and riverbanks - places no bus or 4x4 can reach! Another huge factor is that our schedule is completely our own, which is an amazing feeling. People sometimes ask "Where are you going tomorrow?", and we often reply that we don't know yet. That's a really liberating feeling. I've travelled a lot by bus on other trips. Of course, that has its own appeal and charm, but on a bus you can't ask the driver to stop because you see something really interesting and you want to explore it further, or you want to buy a snack from a street vendor or "use the local facilities".

But why is it so good to be a pillion passenger?
The great thing about the view as a pillion passenger is that you are completely free. Unlike being on a bus, where one only has a piece of a window to look through (if you're lucky), on the Capall, I have 360 degree views of everything. My eyes have been fortunate enough to follow the path of eagles swoop above us. I've waved frantically at passing children until they were no longer in view. I've savoured every second of amazing pink sunsets. And you really can't get the same experience in an air-conditioned car. On the bike, you have the full sensory experience - you feel the intense heat of the sun on your face when you climb aboard, and the satisfying cooling wind that ensues as soon as the bike moves; you smell the street stall food as you drive through towns; you hear the cicadas chatter and the children squeal in excitement at the sight of the strangers passing through! When you stop, you can immediately look a local person in the eyes and shake their hand.

Of course, trusting your driver 100% is what makes this possible. I am completely comfortable in my pillion seat, as I am completely confident in Mike's ability to handle every driving situation. So comfortable, that the only times I hold on to the sides are when we tackle rough pistes. Knowing that Mike will always make the right decision means I can completely relax. I often watch and anticipate traffic with him, as it's a good adrenalin-rush. But, similarly on open roads, I'm often in my own little dream world, opening sweet wrappers with my free hands, drinking from my water bottle, and scratching Mike's back on request!

So, I cannot recommend motorcycle travel highly enough. I'm sure all the bikers reading this will agree, but many of them have never ridden pillion, so just thought I'd give you all a little insight into my persepective for the past 13 and a half weeks. Though that driver's seat does look pretty inviting too....... Maybe next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment